Explore the Bowfin Submarine Memorial and Park
The Pacific Historic Park at the World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument at Pearl Harbor, Oahu houses the USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park. The other historical sites include: Battleship Missouri Memorial, the USS Arizona Memorial, and the Pacific Aviation Museum. It is possible to visit all these historical sites in just one day. Tourists can get the daily Pearl Harbor tours from Waikiki hotels and one day tours from Maui, Kauai, and Hawaii Big Island.
The Experience Highlights
• Visit the “Pearl Harbor Avenger” Submarine, Submarine Museum, and Waterfront Memorial.
• View recruiting posters, battle flags, and one of kind exhibits including a cutaway Poseidon missile with its workings displayed.
• Tours the park grounds and discover an authentic Japanese Kaiten, or manned torpedo, plus the conning tower and periscope of the USS Parche, a contemporary of the Bowfin.
• Pay your respects at the Waterfront Memorial.
The Experience at the U.S.S. Bowfin Submarine
After the attack on Pearl Harbor, the USS Bowfin ( a fleet attack submarine) was launched on December 7, 1942. Nicknamed as the “Pearl Harbor Avenger,” the Bowfin not just completed nine successful patrols in the war but also made 44 enemy ships sink. While playing a key role in the defeat of Japan, the Bowfin helped to make famous term “Silent Service.
USS Bowfin is a National Historic Landmark and museum ship that showcases what it was like to live and serve on a submarine from the WWII. The Bowfin Submarine Museum is home to over 4,000 submarine-related artifacts. The Park’s Waterfront Memorial pays tribute to the 3,500 officers and crewmen and the 52 submarines lost during WWII. Submarines often got their names after fish in history that is why the Bowfin is named after a native predatory fish found in the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River.
The USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park is just steps from the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center. Your tour will take you inside the narrow corridors of the Submarine, inside the museum with thousands of WWII era artifacts, and to the moving Waterfront Memorial that honors the 52 submarines and 3,500 officers and seamen lost during the war.
WWII Valor in the Pacific National Park
1 hour apróx.
General Conditions of the Bowfin Submarine
• Below deck are present very tight quarters
• People with claustrophobia or those who cannot stand for a long time are not recommended to go.
• Children under age 4 are not permitted on the submarine.
Visitors Center Accessibility
- Bowfin Submarine is an ADA compliant and handicap accessible facility.
- Restrooms, bookstore, information desk, drinking fountains, movie
- Most area are wheelchair accessible.
- Wheelchairs are only available for emergency situations.
- Braille and tactile model resources are available in the Visitor Center.
- Historical documentary shown in the theater is fully captioned.
- There is an induction loop for use with the hearing aids.
- There are no nurses or doctors on site. There are hospitals nearby.